So, surgery was Monday afternoon around 1pm after arriving there around 11am and talking with a chaplain who had a very thick Puerto Rican accent and could not pronounce my name or Kendelle's... he kept referring to her as Candle and Candelabra(sp?). My nerves exited the premises once the IV was started and I started making jokes and asking the anesthesia staff and surgeon if they had slept well Sunday night, needed to eat lunch before surgery, and if any spouses had made them particularly mad. This is how I cope with stress.
So anesthesia guy gives me the Versed which is basically glorified Valium that hits you before you can say the alphabet. I remember leaving the pre-op room and recall entering the OR where I also remember them getting my arms and legs strapped in. That was about the extent of it before the curtain closed and I was out for the count.
Fast forward to about 2:30-3pm(an estimate as I was told my surgery lasted right around 2 hours), as soon as the anesthesia started fading the nausea hit. That was quite possibly the most nauseated I have EVER felt. IF I recall correctly they tried to doses of Zofran before my surgeon authorized Phenergan which did the final deed to get me decent although still far from great in terms of nausea. I remember the nursing asking me a couple times if I was ready to allow visitors, mind you my daughter was waiting with my husband's grandparents and my biggest thing had been wanting to see her post-op, I felt that crummy that I told them not yet for somewhere around an hour. Finally I was able to open my eyes and talk enough to tell Kendelle how much I loved her and such before they left to take her to their house. I got my PCA pump with Morphine and worked on resting and such.
Fast forward to about 6:30 pm... time for the first post-op walk. I knew not to fight it because I needed to do it for my health and certainly did not want Sandra, the bariatric nurse called in to chew me a new rump after I committed that I would follow the guidelines. Lets just say though, Nagging Nausea accompanied me on the walk and stayed right on my heels. Part of this was due in fact to having lost my PCA pump button and the nurse call button not working. I made it though.
I walked again at 8pm, 1 am, and basically strolled around in spurts between 6:15am-8:30am when I got moved upstairs after getting showered, dressed, and all the contraptions essentially disconnected. I also had my first tray of fluids before going upstairs.
Got upstairs about 9am and spent the day watching tv, walking, doing my incentive spirometer, and got discharged about 5pm with a small pharmacy to accompany me that includes Nexium, 2 forms of liquid pain meds, some anti-nausea meds, and stool softener. That is in addition to the abundance of vitamins and such I already had in stock to take.
Now, let the journey of weight loss begin... the ride will have ups and downs but I've got my seatbelt on and I'm going to rock this!
No comments:
Post a Comment